Module 1: “Habitual Modes of Citizenship”
Due January 22, 2019.
- Review syllabus and syllabus quiz
- Personal Philosophy Statement
- Reading Quiz 1
- Read and discuss Tompkins, “Some Notes on How To Ask a Good Question about Theory….” L.A. Review of Books’ Avidly, (2016): 1–3.
- Read and discuss Danielle S. Allen, Talking to Strangers: Anxieties of Citizenship since Brown v. Board of Education: 3–36.
- Why Study Philosophy?
- What Does Philosophy Mean?
- How To Do Philosophy
- How Is Philosophy Different from Science?
- How Is Philosophy Different from Religion?
Module 2: “The Death of Socrates”
Due February 11, 2019.
- Reading Outline Assignment
- Argument Outline Assignment
- Reading Quiz 2
- Read and discuss Plato, The Apology, 22–44.
- Read and discuss Plato, Crito, 45–57.
- Read and discuss Plato, Phaedo, 96–154.
- What Are the Main Branches of Philosophy?
- What Is Philosophy’s Main Method?
- Identifying and Evaluating Arguments
- Two Categories of Arguments
- Four Common Syllogisms
Module 3: “Reason and Judgment”
Due March 5, 2019.
- Why Does Socrates/Plato Maintain that Learning Is Recollection?
- Midterm Exam
- Read and discuss Hannah Arendt, Responsibility and Judgement, 227–256.
- Common Informal Fallacies
- Defining Reason
- Discussing “Auschwitz on Trial”
Module 4: “Finding Our Way in the World”
Due March 26, 2019.
- Reading Quiz 3
- Read and discuss Ivanhoe & Van Norden, (Kongzi), The Analects. See D2L for assigned passages.
- Read and discuss Ivanhoe & Van Norden (Mozi), “Impartial Caring,” and “A Condemnation of Aggressive War,” 63–73.
- Read and discuss Ivanhoe & Van Norden (Mengzi), Books 1 & 2, 113–126.
- Read and discuss Ivanhoe & Van Norden (Laozi), Daodejing. See D2L for assigned passages.
- Read and discuss Ivanhoe & Van Norden (Zhuangzi), “On Equalizing Things,” 209–219.
- Two kinds of harmony
- Kongzi’s “Golden Rule”
- Ruist and Mohist interpretations of tianming 天命
- Consequentialist ethics and fatalist ethics
- Defining dao 道
- Discussing paronomasia in Ruist and Daoist philosophies
- Defining xin 心
- Philosophical realism
Module 5: “Skillful Means”
Due April 16, 2019.
- First Revised Personal Philosophy Statement
- Read and discuss Thich Nhat Hanh, “Heart of Understanding,” 1–30.
- Read and discuss James Baldwin, “Freaks and the American Ideal of Manhood,” 814–829.
- Read and discuss Danielle S. Allen Talking to Strangers: Anxieties of Citizenship since Brown v. Board of Education: 140–159.
- Defining ziran 自然
- The role of dao 道 for translating Buddhism for Chinese culture
- Defining atman
- The four goals in Upanishadic life
- The Four Noble Truths
- Defining karma
- The Three Marks of Existence
Module 6: “How Do We Know?”
Due May 7, 2019.
- Reading Quiz 4
- Final Revised Personal Philosophy Statement
- Final Exam
- Read and discuss Descartes, Meditations 1 & 2.
- Read and discuss Locke, “An Essay Concerning Human Understanding.”
- Read and discuss Kant, “Prolegomena to any Future Metaphysics.”
- Defining ontology
- Extensional vs. intensional objects
- Tabula rasa
- Kant’s ethics